You are here
1. Find a flat surface to set your device on. This can be a music stand, an end table, ect…
2. Set your device just behind your hi-hat so you can see without having to turn your neck too far.
3. Use headphones that cover your entire ears, so you can clearly hear the examples.
4. Shut out distractions! For the time you are playing do not check text messages or social media.
5. Repeat videos multiple times, even if you can go faster. The point here is to get repetitions!
6. Treat this as a workout. When you finish, you should feel like you worked hard and your muscles should be tired.
Double Stroke Roll | Introduction
Practice Drumming's, Double Stroke Roll lesson.
One of the most talked about and used drum rudiment on the planet is the Double Stroke Roll. Most beginner drummers will learn a Double Stroke Roll in their first few drum lessons, and with good reason! This rudiment is going to setup the basis for the next nine rudiments:
- 5 Stroke Roll
- 6 Stroke Roll
- 7 Stroke Roll
- 9 Stroke Roll
- 10 Stroke Roll
- 11 Stroke Roll
- 13 Stroke Roll
- 15 Stroke Roll
- 17 Stroke Roll
In addition to the Double Stroke roll being the foundation of all of the rudiments above, it also serves as basis to beat and fill material. Mastering this as a snare exercise will greatly open up your playing and make you feel infinitely more comfortable moving around the drum set.
For beginning and intermediate drummers, this should be on of the first drum rudiments that you master.
What we will give you in this lesson:
- Printable, pdf sheet music that is very readable for beginning drummers.
- A simple explanation on how to play this rudiment.
- Practice videos, that you will play along with.
- A structured way to add in a kick drum, as a drum set application.
Next steps to take.
Spend your time practicing the Double Stroke Roll and a lot, you'll see a huge improvement in your hand and finger speed. We'd highly advise that you print out the sheet music and practice this aside from the Practice Drumming online platform.
One very simple but effective way to master your double technique is to play doubles with both of your hands at the same time. This really helps with symmetry, and once you master this type of drumming, it's a lot easier to break it up.